Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Well hello! Today has been a long and dreary day. It is raining, of course. College can be pretty depressing. All I hear about is how horrible the state of this planet is in and how it is the country I live in that allows and endorses it's destruction. It just makes me want to start looking for apartments in Finland, but then comes that moral dilema. Is abondoning my country that does allow me much freedom the right thing to do? Should I stay and try to change things through my small individual acts? Let me draw this down to a more graspable concept. I go to a very poor college in a very poor state. We have no money. Our teachers are under paid, our programs are underfunded and it is only getting worse. I could trasfer to a more expensive college that has more funding and leave this college behind, but am I willing to sacrifice losing the commitment to diversity this institution values so much and the dedicated professors I have grown to love? Is my education only about getting a degree or is it about discovering what I value and then standing up for those values? My heart says the latter. And as for this country, if I did leave I know I would return because there are still many beautiful things here and there are many people here that I love. So instead of apartments I'll seek hotels. Right now, I will look at the kittens on Science Building 2 because they remind me of the Godfeathers on Animaniacs. What fun.

No comments: