Tuesday, March 28, 2006
I am back from Venezuela! What an amazing trip. I do not even know where to begin when describing the experience. The people there are so resilient. They have so much hope for the future. I am convinced that Hugo Chavez is why they have that hope. His revolution has really lifted people. Of course it is not perfect. His agenda is one big social experiment. The real question is whether it can last. Will the economy become diversified enough to support itself if and when oil no longer can supply income for the country? Will the U.S. government mind it's own business and let the experiment continue? From what I can tell Chavez is not a dictator. The democracy down there is more democratic than what we have here. They have participatory democracy. The country is not destabilized, it is more stabilized. Construction of roads, housing, infrastructure is happening everywhere. It is true that Chavez needs to build leaders around him so that the movement is not just about him. When his term is up, there needs to be someone ready to take his place. The opposition is loud and funded heavily by the U.S. government. They own most of the major TV stations, all but one. But they offer no alternative. All they do is squawk about how awful Chavez is. They are not unified enough to defeat him and that is why they can not win elections. They are stupid to keep boycotting elections. They will never win that way. They have already proven a coup won't work either. On a personal note, it was really great meeting more people from my school. We all got along well and it was refreshing to meet some like-minded folks who I could see myself spending time with. I have also started mentally packing for my next adventure....Thailand! I found a study abroad program that combines classes and volunteer service. They have programs all over the world, but Thailand caught my eye. So I just have to apply and hopefully get accepted and then I will be spending my last term, late August-December, in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I love adventures! For now I need to get through this term. I have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it. Then two sociology classes over the summer, which should be a breeze, Jessie's wedding in August and then I say farewell to Boston. It has flown by really. I probably won't stay away forever. I like it here but I need some fresh air. Venezuela only confirmed how much I miss the country.
No comments:
Post a Comment